Centauri Consulting Privacy Statement
Last Updated: December 2020
Your privacy is important to us. This privacy statement explains the personal data Centauri Consulting processes, how Centauri Consulting processes it, and for what purposes.
Centauri Consulting offers a wide range of products, including server products used to help operate businesses in Africa, software that students use, and services developers use to create and enhance their offerings. References to Centauri Consulting products in this statement include Centauri Consulting services, websites, apps, software, servers, and devices.
Please read the product-specific details in this privacy statement, which provide additional relevant information. This statement applies to the interactions Centauri Consulting has with you and the Centauri Consulting products listed below, as well as other Centauri Consulting products that display this statement.
EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
Centauri Consulting adheres to the principles of the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks, although Centauri Consulting does not rely on the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as a legal basis for transfers of personal data in light of the judgment of the Court of Justice of the EU in Case C-311/18.
If you have a privacy concern, complaint, or question for the Centauri Consulting Chief Privacy Officer or Data Protection Officer, please contact us by using our web form. For more information about contacting Centauri Consulting, see the How to contact us section of this privacy statement.
Personal data we collect
Centauri Consulting collects data from you, through our interactions with you and through our products. You provide some of this data directly, and we get some of it by collecting data about your interactions, use, and experiences with our products. The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with Centauri Consulting and the choices you make, including your privacy settings and the products and features you use. We also obtain data about you from third parties.
If you represent an organization, such as a business or school, that utilizes Enterprise and Developer Products from Centauri Consulting, please see the Enterprise and developer products section of this privacy statement to learn how we process your data. If you are an end user of a Centauri Consulting product or a Centauri Consulting account provided by your organization, please see the Products provided by your organization and the Centauri Consulting account sections for more information.
You have choices when it comes to the technology you use and the data you share. When we ask you to provide personal data, you can decline. Many of our products require some personal data to provide you with a service. If you choose not to provide data required to provide you with a product or feature, you cannot use that product or feature. Likewise, where we need to collect personal data by law or to enter into or carry out a contract with you, and you do not provide the data, we will not be able to enter into the contract; or if this relates to an existing product you’re using, we may have to suspend or cancel it. We will notify you if this is the case at the time. Where providing the data is optional, and you choose not to share personal data, features like personalization that use such data will not work for you.
How we use personal data
Centauri Consulting uses the data we collect to provide you with rich, interactive experiences. In particular, we use data to:
- Provide our products, which includes updating, securing, and troubleshooting, as well as providing support. It also includes sharing data, when it is required to provide the service or carry out the transactions you request.
- Improve and develop our products.
- Personalize our products and make recommendations.
- Advertise and market to you, which includes sending promotional communications, targeting advertising, and presenting you with relevant offers.
We also use the data to operate our business, which includes analyzing our performance, meeting our legal obligations, developing our workforce, and doing research.
In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect from different contexts (for example, from your use of two Centauri Consulting products) or obtain from third parties to give you a more seamless, consistent, and personalized experience, to make informed business decisions, and for other legitimate purposes.
Our processing of personal data for these purposes includes both automated and manual (human) methods of processing. Our automated methods often are related to and supported by our manual methods. For example, our automated methods include artificial intelligence (AI), which we think of as a set of technologies that enable computers to perceive, learn, reason, and assist in decision-making to solve problems in ways that are similar to what people do. To build, train, and improve the accuracy of our automated methods of processing (including AI), we manually review some of the predictions and inferences produced by the automated methods against the underlying data from which the predictions and inferences were made. For example, we manually review short snippets of a small sampling of voice data we have taken steps to de-identify to improve our speech services, such as recognition and translation.
Reasons we share personal data
We share your personal data with your consent or to complete any transaction or provide any product you have requested or authorized. We also share data with Centauri Consulting-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf; when required by law or to respond to legal process; to protect our customers; to protect lives; to maintain the security of our products; and to protect the rights and property of Centauri Consulting and its customers.
How to access and control your personal data
You can also make choices about the collection and use of your data by Centauri Consulting. You can control your personal data that Centauri Consulting has obtained, and exercise your data protection rights, by contacting Centauri Consulting or using various tools we provide. In some cases, your ability to access or control your personal data will be limited, as required or permitted by applicable law. How you can access or control your personal data will also depend on which products you use. For example, you can:
- Control the use of your data for interest-based advertising from Centauri Consulting by visiting our opt-out page.
- Choose whether you wish to receive promotional emails, SMS messages, telephone calls, and postal mail from Centauri Consulting.
- Access and clear some of your data through the Centauri Consulting privacy dashboard.
Not all personal data processed by Centauri Consulting can be accessed or controlled via the tools above. If you want to access or control personal data processed by Centauri Consulting that is not available via the tools above or directly through the Centauri Consulting products you use, you can always contact Centauri Consulting at the address in the How to contact us section or by using our web form.
Cookies and similar technologies
We also use “web beacons” to help deliver cookies and gather usage and performance data. Our websites may include web beacons, cookies, or similar technologies from third-party service providers.
Products provided by your organization—notice to end users
If you use a Centauri Consulting product with an account provided by an organization you are affiliated with, such as your work or school account, that organization can:
- Control and administer your Centauri Consulting product and product account, including controlling privacy-related settings of the product or product account.
- Access and process your data, including the interaction data, diagnostic data, and the contents of your communications and files associated with your Centauri Consulting product and product accounts.
If you lose access to your work or school account (in event of change of employment, for example), you may lose access to products and the content associated with those products, including those you acquired on your own behalf, if you used your work or school account to sign in to such products.
Many Centauri Consulting products are intended for use by organizations, such as schools and businesses. Please see the Enterprise and developer products section of this privacy statement. If your organization provides you with access to Centauri Consulting products, your use of the Centauri Consulting products is subject to your organization’s policies, if any. You should direct your privacy inquiries, including any requests to exercise your data protection rights, to your organization’s administrator. When you use social features in Centauri Consulting products, other users in your network may see some of your activity. To learn more about the social features and other functionality, please review documentation or help content specific to the Centauri Consulting product. Centauri Consulting is not responsible for the privacy or security practices of our customers, which may differ from those set forth in this privacy statement.
When you use a Centauri Consulting product provided by your organization, Centauri Consulting’s processing of your personal data in connection with that product is governed by a contract between Centauri Consulting and your organization. Centauri Consulting processes your personal data to provide the product to your organization and you, and for Centauri Consulting’s legitimate business operations related to providing the product as described in the Enterprise and developer products section. As mentioned above, if you have questions about Centauri Consulting’s processing of your personal data in connection with providing products to your organization, please contact your organization. If you have questions about Centauri Consulting’s legitimate business operations in connection with providing products to your organization as provided in the standard Centauri Consulting Online Services Terms, please contact Centauri Consulting as described in the How to contact us section. For more information on our legitimate business operations, please see the Enterprise and developer products section.
For Centauri Consulting products provided by your school, Centauri Consulting will:
- not collect or use student personal data beyond that needed for authorized educational or school purposes;
- not sell or rent student personal data;
- not use or share student personal data for advertising or similar commercial purposes, such as behavioural targeting of advertisements to students;
- not build a personal profile of a student, other than for supporting authorized educational or school purposes or as authorized by the parent, guardian, or student of appropriate age; and
- require that our vendors with whom student personal data is shared to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for student personal data.
Centauri Consulting account
With a Centauri Consulting account, you can sign in to Centauri Consulting products, as well as those of select Centauri Consulting partners. Personal data associated with your Centauri Consulting account includes credentials, name and contact data, payment data, device and usage data, your contacts, information about your activities, and your interests and favourites. Signing in to your Centauri Consulting account enables personalization and consistent experiences across products and devices, permits you to use cloud data storage, allows you to make payments using payment instruments stored in your Centauri Consulting account, and enables other features.
There are three types of Centauri Consulting account:
- When you create your own Centauri Consulting account tied to your personal email address, we refer to that account as a personal Centauri Consulting account.
- When you or your organization (such as an employer or your school) create your Centauri Consulting account tied to your email address provided by that organization, we refer to that account as a work or school account.
- When you or your service provider (such as a cable or internet service provider) create your Centauri Consulting account tied to your email address with your service provider’s domain, we refer to that account as a third-party account.
If you sign into a service offered by a third party with your Centauri Consulting account, you will share with that third party the account data required by that service.
Other important privacy information
Below you will find additional privacy information, such as how we secure your data, where we process your data, and how long we retain your data.
Enterprise and developer products
Enterprise and Developer Products are Centauri Consulting products and related software offered to and designed primarily for use by organizations and developers. They include:
- Cloud services, referred to as Online Services in the Centauri Consulting Online Services Terms, such as Gauntlet Identity Management Service Centauri Consulting Core Services, for which an organization (our customer) contracts with Centauri Consulting for the services (“Enterprise Online Services”).
- Other enterprise and developer cloud-based services, such as Centauri Developer Services and tools such as Centauri Core Services Integration Kit.
- Server, developer, and hybrid cloud platform products, such as Gauntlet Profile Manager and open source software Centauri Integration Framework solutions (“Enterprise and Developer Software”).
- Professional services referred to in the Centauri Consulting Online Services that are available with Enterprise Online Services, such as onboarding services, data migration services, data science services, or services to supplement existing features in the Enterprise Online Services.
In the event of a conflict between this Centauri Consulting privacy statement and the terms of any agreement(s) between a customer and Centauri Consulting Enterprise and Developer Products, the terms of those agreement(s) will control.
You can also learn more about our Enterprise and Developer Products’ features and settings, including choices that impact your privacy or your end users’ privacy, in product documentation.
If any of the terms below are not defined in this Privacy Statement or the OST, they have the definitions below.
General. When a customer tries, purchases, uses, or subscribes to Enterprise and Developer Products, or obtains support for or professional services with such products, Centauri Consulting receives data from you and collects and generates data to provide the service (including improving, securing, and updating the service), conduct our legitimate business operations, and communicate with the customer. For example:
- When a customer engages with a Centauri Consulting sales representative, we collect the customer’s name and contact data, along with information about the customer’s organization, to support that engagement.
- When a customer interacts with a Centauri Consulting support professional, we collect device and usage data or error reports to diagnose and resolve problems.
- When a customer pays for products, we collect contact and payment data to process the payment.
- When Centauri Consulting sends communications to a customer, we use data to personalize the content of the communication.
- When a customer engages with Centauri Consulting for professional services, we collect the name and contact data of the customer’s designated point of contact and use information provided by the customer to perform the services that the customer has requested.
The Enterprise and Developer Products enable you to purchase, subscribe to, or use other products and online services from Centauri Consulting or third parties with different privacy practices, and those other products and online services are governed by their respective privacy statements and policies.
Productivity and communications products
Productivity and communications products are applications, software, and services you can use to create, store, and share documents, as well as communicate with others.
Search, Centauri Consulting Edge, and artificial intelligence
Search and artificial intelligence products connect you with information and intelligently sense, process, and act on information – learning and adapting over time.